Plumbers vs Heating Engineers

We noticed a similarity in the queries asked after browsing through a few plumbing and heating discussions last week. One of the main questions that stood out to us was should I hire a plumber or a heating engineer to solve my problem? We can put you in the right direction to solve your issue because here at Greenside Plumbing & Heating we are trained and qualified plumbers and heating engineers.

plumber vs heating engineer

What is the difference between a plumber and a heating engineer?

When to call a plumber...

Plumbers offer a wide range of services in your home that is linked to water and pipes. If you have a leaking appliance, such as a washing machine or dishwasher, you should contact a plumber. You could also call a plumber if you are experiencing plumbing issues with your toilet, taps, showers, leaks or blockages. 

Not only do they offer repair services, but plumbers are also fully trained to help with any plumbing installation services that you may require. This includes installing a new bathroom, taps, showers, bathtubs, and toilets.

Many plumbers who know their way around a boiler system are Gas Safe Registered; to see if they are or whether their company is a gas safe company, go to the Gas Safe Register. When you call a plumber or a heating engineer to fix your problem, keep this in mind.

When to call a heating engineer...

While plumbers are very skilled at the duties listed above, they are not qualified to operate on your central heating system. You should contact a qualified heating specialist if you experience an issue with your gas boiler, radiators, or boiler pipes. A heating engineer must be Gas Safe registered to repair, service, or install your central heating system. You can simply ask heating engineers to show you their Gas Safe ID.

We recommend that when you are in need of a service that involves gas work, you should hire a professional that is Gas Safe registered. You can usually find a company's Gas Safe number on their website or simply call the company and you can request it. 

Get in touch 

Here at Greenside Plumbing and Heating,  we are Gas Safe registered and are happy to help with any plumbing or heating services that you may require throughout Hexham, Ryton, Newcastle, Gateshead & Corbridge. Call us on 07506 20544773